<googlemap lat="51.47283" lon="-2.576294"> 51.478623, -2.576616, Ashley Hill </googlemap>
Ashley Hill opened as a single platform on the 13th of August 1863. Doubling of the line through the station happened during 1885. The station was rebuilt when the line up Filton Bank was quadrupled and reopened on 30th April 1933. A goods yard with six sidings was opened to the north of the station on 4th August 1925. This was served by a 33-lever signal box which opened on 5th July 1925, replacing an earlier signal box that was sited at the north end of the station. The second box closed on 19th October 1970. The station closed to passengers on the 23rd of November 1964 and goods on 1st November 1966. The line up Filton Bank was reduced from four to two on 2nd February 1984.
An official GWR photo from the 1930s showing the then newly rebuilt station.
The view from Ashley Hill station looking up with Ashley Hill signal box in distance. DMU on down relief, Cattle train on down main. © Peter Rendall
The view south along the site of the station. Just around the bend is Narroways Junction. The board with the red stripes on it alert the driver that he is approaching a signal.
158748 flys up the gradient like it wasn't there...
.. and heads off to Filton Abbey Wood.
A view from Station Road of the embankment north of Ashley Hill. The bridge just visible in this shot is the one at Muller Road.