<googlemap lat="51.436247" lon="-2.623501"> 51.441731, -2.625571, Ashton Gate 51.439644, -2.624402, Ashton Junction 51.444539, -2.623758, Ashton Meadows Sidings 51.446037, -2.621956, Ashton Swing Bridge </googlemap>
The station was opened as Ashton Gate Platform on the 15th September 1906, for football traffic only, with a regular service starting on 1st October 1906. Closed on 1st November 1917 as a wartime economy measure. Rebuilt and reopened on 23rd May 1926. The use of the word 'Platform' was dropped in August 1928 and the station was last staffed on 29th October 1962. It officially closed on 7th September 1964 but opened temporarily between 1970-1977 for football specials, and again between 12th-19th May 1984 for Mission England, a serious of preachings by Billy Graham, which took place at the nearby Ashton Gate football ground.
A special service comprising of several DMUs stand at the station. © Mike Radford
A view from the road bridge of the Home Starter and Ashton Meadows Sidings as they were in 1989. The station is on the left of the picture.
The up line became a long siding before falling into total disrepair. This line disappeared completely when the line was rebuilt for freight to Royal Portbury Dock.
The view north. The bridge carries an access road to an engineering depot at Ashton Meadows Sidings.
The view south from the Access Bridge with the remains of Ashton Gate station below.