<googlemap lat="51.426722" lon="-2.555008">
51.433625, -2.555394, Brislington
To Bristol: Talbot Road
To Radstock: West Town Lane
Brislington station was opened on 3rd September 1873 by the Bristol & North Somerset Railway. Closed to passengers on 2nd November 1959 and goods on 7th October 1963.
An excerpt taken from the Western Daily Press of 4th September 1873:
As all the stations on the line are similar in construction, if not equal in size, we may here mention that they are neat buildings, sufficiently commodious for the traffic of the line, and presenting a solid and substantial appearance. They are not aesthetic, but Mr Ruskin, we know, detests beautiful railway stations as misplaced, and perhaps the directors are of his way of thinking, and prefer utility to splendour. The contractors for this part of the work are Messrs Brock and Brace.
A 1959 view of Brislington station taken from Talbot Road.
Photos taken on the 8.2.05 except the first one which was taken on 6.12.04.
An overview of the site of Brislington Station taken from Talbot Road
Some 46 years after the station closed to passengers the platform is still visible in the undergrowth. Talbot Road is just visible to the left in this pic.
The view south. The garages stand close to the spot where the junction for the goods sidings left the main railway line. After the locals suffered years of drug dealing, vandalism and arson the whole site has now been made very secure.
Tescos have built a supermarket on a site slightly to the south of Brislington Station and this access road was built along the railway's alignment. This is the view towards the station.
And the view south from the same spot. This road follows the alignment of the railway as far as the roundabout on the A4174.
Past the A4174 the route has been built on with new housing as far as West Town Lane. The railings on the right of the footpath follow the boundary of the ex-railway land.
A view of the station taken on 20.6.09. The site was being used to store containers.