1873

From Bristol Railway Archive
Jump to: navigation, search

March

27th. Loco shed at Hotwells destroyed by fire.

August

Bristol & South Wales Union Railway converted to standard gauge.
3rd. Original Saltford station buildings destroyed by fire.

September

3rd. Brislington station opened.
3rd. Clutton station opened.
3rd. Midsomer Norton and Welton opened as Welton.
3rd. Pensford station opened.
4th. An excerpt taken from the Western Daily Press of 4th September 1873 concerning Brislington station: As all the stations on the line are similar in construction, if not equal in size, we may here mention that they are neat buildings, sufficiently commodious for the traffic of the line, and presenting a solid and substantial appearance. They are not aesthetic, but Mr Ruskin, we know, detests beautiful railway stations as misplaced, and perhaps the directors are of his way of thinking, and prefer utility to splendour. The contractors for this part of the work are Messrs Brock and Brace.

exact date unknown

Metal section of Cheltenham Road Viaduct constructed by Smedley Brothers of Belper.
Dunball station opened.
Single track through Lawrence Hill doubled.