Cattybrook Brickworks

From Bristol Railway Archive
Jump to: navigation, search

<googlemap lat="51.547776" lon="-2.594919"> 51.545855, -2.595327, Cattybrook Brickworks </googlemap>

To Bristol, the North or London: Patchway Tunnels
To Wales: Badgers Lane

History

Cattybrook Brick Works came about when the Bristol & South Wales Union Railway was building its line to New Passage Pier. The engineer of the line, Charles Richardson, was impressed by the quality of the clay being dug out of Patchway Tunnel and decided to lease a few acres of land at Cattybrook in 1865. The brickworks went on to supply 74,400,000 bricks for the Severn Tunnel. They were also used for building Portishead Power Station, Fry's factory at Keynsham and the offices of the Imperial Tobacco Co. in Bristol.

1960s

1970s

2004

15.2.04