Wells Priory Road
<googlemap lat="51.204363" lon="-2.652715"> 51.204269, -2.65264, Wells Priory Road </googlemap>
Opened on 15th March 1859 as the terminus of the Somerset Central Railway's branch from Glastonbury and was the first of the three stations at Wells. Initially named Wells before being renamed Wells Priory Road in October 1883. It was closed to passengers on 29th October 1951 when the branch to Glastonbury was closed. It remained open to goods until 12th October 1964.
The view east in the direction of Shepton Mallet.
© Andy Viles
The view west from Priory Road. The line diverging to the left used to go to Glastonbury, by the time this photo was taken that branch had closed, however a short section was retained to enable access to the S&D goods sidings. The line diverging to the right is heading towards Cheddar. As can also be seen the train shed covering the platform has been removed.
© John Thorn