Ashton Swing Bridge
At one time a road went across the river at this spot as well as a railway, and the bridge was a double decker. Half way along a control cabin was raised even higher above the road on stilts. The bridge was built by John Lysaght and Co and opened on the 3rd October 1906 by the Lady Mayoress, Mrs A.J.Smith. The original estimate for the bridge was £36,500 with the GWR agreeing to pay half. The final bill, however, was £70,389 and the city council asked the railway to increase its contribution. They agreed and finally contributed £22,000. The swing span is 202ft long and weighs 1000 tons. It could be swung in either direction.
Pannier tank 1369 trundles across the bridge in 1996. © Geoff Hartland
This photo was taken from the same footbridge that the last photo in the Ashton Meadows Sidings set was taken. It shows the view along the top of the bridge.
A side-on view of the bridge looking east from the south banks of the River Avon.
The other side of the bridge. The warehouse in the background houses the Bristol Record Office.
A view of the bridge taken from a boat on the river. (with a very high tide!) © Michael C G Owen