Brandy Bottom Colliery
<googlemap lat="51.48459" lon="-2.458963"> 51.492319, -2.45921, Brandy Bottom Colliery </googlemap>
One of the oldest collieries in the area, this pit was originally known as Brandy Bottom Pit, before becoming known as Parkfield South Colliery. By 1899, and as Parkfield Colliery (which was to the north) expanded, all coal was extracted from the northern pithead while Brandy Bottom was retained only for pumping and ventilation. The pit finally closed in 1936.
The view north along the remains of the Midland Railway route. © Clive Moore
The chimney of Brandy Bottom Colliery © Clive Moore
The remains of an old winding wheel has been placed alongside the cyclepath. © Clive Moore