<googlemap lat="51.453205" lon="-2.553291"> 51.448872, -2.553806, East Depot </googlemap>
Bristol East Depot was opened in 1890 to cope with extra traffic brought about by the opening of the Severn Tunnel. Closed on the 7th August 1967, the down yard remained in use as storage for engineering wagons before being lifted at the end of 2004. In 2005 new sidings were laid and the Bristol Steel Terminal opened at a cost of £400,000.
A track plan of East Depot from 1988.
The Blue Pullman heads east with a service for London and passes Bristol East depot. The Up yard is still in use and the signal box controlling it can just be seen on the right. A trackgang can be seen sandwiched between the two trains. Not a yellow vest or other safety device to be seen! © Roger Porch
A general view of what's left of the down yard on the 28.11.03. Not a lot of stock was kept here by this date, just some crippled wagons, some engineering equipment and the Tunnel Inspection Train. In the far distance St Philips Causeway (or the Spine Road if you prefer) can be seen crossing the railway at North Somerset Junction.
Tarmac was laid to facilitate unloading of wagons. © Alan Weeks
Another view of the sidings. © Alex Ford
A close up of wagons being unloaded. There's nothing particularly expensive at the depot, just a couple of giant forklifts.
66090 shunts wagons.