<googlemap lat="51.413126" lon="-2.495956"> 51.418078, -2.496171, Keynsham 51.423303, -2.494123, Fry's chocolate factory. </googlemap>
Opened on the 31st of August 1840. Became known as Keynsham & Somerdale from the 1st February 1925 with the opening of the nearby Fry & Sons' new chocolate factory. The station reverted to Keynsham on the 6th May 1974.
A track plan of the Keynsham area from 1988
A Fry's privately owned loco works wagons from the factory. © Neil Higson
D9000 hurtles through with a VSOE charter on 7.6.97.
This is the main platform shelter on the London side of the station. It was built in 1985 as part of improvement works which included the provision of a new footbridge and the enlargement of the car park.
The end of the station that is closest to Bristol has some platform awnings which where constructed in 1930 when the station was rebuilt to provide extra capacity for workers at the nearby chocolate factory.
This end of the station is very dark because the overbridge carrying Station Road crosses here. The bridge at this spot was originally a typical Brunel Tudor arch and the replacement was put in place in 1931 when the station was rebuilt.
153369 speeds through the station. The solitary passenger waiting on the platform was clearly expecting this to stop, and when it didn't she removed herself to the nearest bus stop!
60091 trundles through on engineering train.
While 158748 speeds past in the opposite direction.
A zoomed view of the line towards Bristol. This section of track runs alongside the A4 Keynsham Bypass.
As well as the entrance to the station in the first photo, there's also this one on Station Road for pedestrians.
Barriers were installed at the east end of the station during March. © Nick Thayer