Montpelier

From Bristol Railway Archive
Jump to: navigation, search

<googlemap lat="51.469568" lon="-2.587881"> 51.468349, -2.588509, Montpelier </googlemap>

To Narroways Hill: Montpelier Tunnel
To Avonmouth: Station Road

History

Opened on the 1st October 1874 as Montpellier (two 'L's). The station master was provided with a coalhouse in 1883 and an extra bedroom in 1887. In February 1888 the station's name changed to Montpelier (one 'L'). The Station Master's duties were withdrawn on 29th March 1926 and the post merged with the management of Clifton Down. The main station building was destroyed in an air raid on 16th March 1941. Closed to goods on 29th November 1965. The 16 lever Montpelier signal box closed on 10th May 1967 and the station became unstaffed on 17th July 1967.

1970s

2003

07.12.03

2006