<googlemap lat="51.560638" lon="-2.664528"> 51.559417, -2.66456, Severn Beach </googlemap>
The Avonmouth to Pilning line opened to freight on 5th February 1900. The first Severn Beach station opened on this line on 5th June 1922 as an excursion platform, and fully opened with the commencement of passenger services on the line on 26th May 1924. Through services between Avonmouth and Pilning commenced on 9th July 1928. It closed to goods on 10th September 1963. The Severn Beach to Pilning line closed to passengers in November 1964 and completely in July 1968.
The same train viewed from the end of the platform. Empty coaching stock is stored on the carriage siding. © Don W
Another Small Prairie 5529 waits at the station. © Don W
The station building in 1972. © Simon Whittingham
A view of the original station building. © Mike P
The station building as viewed from the platform. © Mike P
The sidings next to the station during the 70s. The fire service are attending a small bush fire. © Mike P
The view west with Avonmouth in the background.
The area alongside the station used to contain a carriage siding which held summer specials when the people in the Midlands visited Severn Beach in their droves. Later it was used as a head shunt and for storage of wagons using the near bye ICI works.
Some photos of the station taken on 11.11.08 showing clearance work on the land adjacent to the station in preparation for regeneration of the area.